– Renault R4, French cult car with amazingly low mileage
– used to run in France, imported in 2017
– GTL specifications, electric fan and radio
– only 37,300 km on the odometer
– interior original and unrestored, in unbelievable condition for its age
– roof has various small dents (may be due to damage by hail)
– paintjob of mediocre quality
– comes with the legendary revolver-style gear lever
– French service booklet and owner’s manual available
– valid technical approval until 08/2019 and historic plates
– fine specimen of one of the best loved french compact cars
For some it was the “better duck”, for many just a workhorse, a loyal companion, a cheap student car, for others it has always been an expression of a living culture: the Renault 4 found friends from all corners of society. In fact the angular 5-door car with front-wheel drive and platform frame, launched in 1961, was an extremely versatile vehicle with plenty of room, which besides could be run cost-effectively. A total of more than 8 million of the small space-saving miracles were produced in 16 countries over a period of 3 decades.
In order to transfer the 24 to 34 hp – depending on the engine fitted – to the front wheels, the driver uses the quaint revolver gear lever. As of 1968 this lever controlled a four-speed gearbox, previously there had only been three gears.
All in all, the R4 was and still is a car that teaches serenity in a charming way and yet offers comfort, a car which knows how to turn modesty into liberty.