– Mercedes-Benz 280 S from the final year of W108 production, 1972
– delivered and always registered in Germany
– always within the same family, two registered keepers
– car had been decommissioned in 1997
– 2.8 litre 6-cylinder engine with 103 kW (140 hp) and automatic gearbox
– major service in 2018 including new brakes, new fuel tank
– all engine fluids replaced, carburettor overhauled
– brown leatherette interior in good condition
– sunroof and period-correct Blaupunkt radio
– German (cardboard) registration documents, original service booklet and data card
– a very elegant, timeless classic
The S-Class of the late 60s
Even if the W108 model series was never officially called “S-class”, it was just that: The top model of the German premium manufacturer, predestined for the rich and famous in all countries. Presidents, business leaders, successful businessmen and nobles should buy it. Since these gentlemen preferred being chauffeured, a long-wheelbase version was offered during the entire construction period.
One could choose between the 6- and 8-cylinder engines, whereupon the biggest, a powerful 8-cylinder engine with 4.5 liter capacity, was produced only for the American market. Apart from that, the big Benz was – as always – also a technology and innovation leader, it had disc brakes on all wheels and a dual brake circuit. The design was chosen deliberately free of short-lived fads (like the tail fins of the previous model).