– 1990 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 (964) with 993 Turbo look
– 3.6 litre flat 6 engine with 184 kW (250 hp) and 5-speed manual gearbox
– delivered to the US when new, re-imported in 2014, only one registered keeper in Germany
– electric soft-top and rear window in good condition
– bi-colour (beige / black) Recaro bucket seats
– power windows, climate control, dual airbags
– new windscreen
– white displays
– runs on 17″ cup rims
– sports exhaust system
– German registration documents
After 16 years of production, the highly popular “G model” of the Porsche 911 was due for a thorough makeover in 1989. The successor, which bore the internal code 964, is said to have shared no more than 15 % of its parts with model it replaced. While retaining the characteristic basic design, the 964 brought a cornucopia of technical innovations. For the first time in a 911, all wheel drive, derived from the technology carrier Porsche 959, and the Tiptronic automatic gearshift became available. Power steering, airbags as well as ABS brakes likewise found their way into the 911. The suspension was revised substantially, it now featured coil springs and shock absorbers instead of torsion bars. From the outside, the most noticeable change lay in the large, integrated bumpers, as well as in the electric rear spoiler which was raised and lowered according to the travelling speed.
In the rear, there was still the air-cooled six-cylinder boxer engine – now with twin-spark – which most commonly had 3.6 litres of displacement, though 3.3 and 3.75 litre variants were available, as well as turbo engines.
The 964 was the last 911 model which was offered as a traditional Targa with the removable roof.