Price coming soonCar-ID: XT0315
– 1970 Mercedes-Benz 280 SL “Pagoda”
– originally delivered to the US, used to run in California
– with its current German owner since 2010
– beautiful colour combination of papyrus white with red interior
– reportedly accident-free condition devoid of rust
– correct gaps throughout, original fenders with their famous notches
– ignition and rear axle converted to European specifications, originals still available
– white wall tyres
– body-coloured hardtop comes with the car
– Becker Europa radio and analog clock on board
– various repair receipts available
– German registration documents and historic plates
The Pagoda – a design classic par excellence!
When presented at the Geneva Motor Show in 1963, the W113 had the difficult task of replacing two models at a time, the 190 SL as well as the 300 SL. A task that was almost equivalent to the quadrature of the circle, but was solved brilliantly. Because of its smooth surfaces, the spacious interior and the absence of decorative elements, it came across as very “masculine” and made the predecessors with their rounded styling look outdated.
It was available as 230 SL (1963-1967), 250 SL (1967) and 280 SL (1968-1971), built with either manual or automatic transmission, to a total of 48,912 vehicles. Because of its slightly concave hardtop, available as an accessory, it was nicknamed Pagoda.
The W113 was suitable for any occasion – be it for the opera, the golf course or the small shopping – and the main thing: it looked good on you!