– 2000 Mercedes-Benz CL 500 from the C 215 series
– the pinnacle of German car engineering at the turn of the milennium
– highly original car without visible dents or scratches
– 225 kW (306 hp) from 5.0 litres of displacement and 5-speed automatic gearbox
– CD changer, car alarm, hands free carphone, electrically foldable rear headrests
– massage seats, BOSE audio system, electric rear window shade
– multifunction steering wheel, xenon head headlights, glass sunroof, climate control
– front and rear parking sensors
– comfortable, sporty, and a whole lot of car for small money
Mercedes-Benz’s second generation of the CL class debuted in 1998. It was based on the current S class sedan from the W 220 series, which had been released one year previously. For the coupe, the wheelbase was shortened by 20 cm, and only the top end of the range engines were made available. The “base model” – a term totally out of place for this type of luxury coupe – already cost more than 200,000 DM and got a full 225 kW (306 hp) out of 5.0 litres of displacement. At the top end, power was doubled to a whopping 450 kW (612 hp) from a 6.0 litre twin-turbo V12 in the CL 65 AMG, which boasted no less than 1,000 Nm of torque. Needless to say, the interior used the finest materials and the car was equipped with state-of-the-art technology. such as Distronic cruise control, light and rain sensors, bi-xenon headlights or voice control for navigation and cellphone commands. Like the W 220 S class, the C 215 featured the new active body control suspension system, which automatically chooses the ideal damper setting in every driving situation.
Until 2006, when the C 216 was ready to relace it, 47,984 units of the luxurious coupe were built.