Price coming soonCar-ID: XT0531
This Veritas Scorpion is an extremely rare post-war German sports car
– One of only approx. 30 units bulit
– The history of the chassis 5095 is largely unknown as any production records from Veritas in its 3 primary locations have been lost
– A two-seater convertible with a coachwork all in aluminum designed by Karrossierbau Spohn, German coachbuilder working with Bugatti, Steyr, Mercedes and Maybach in the 20’s and 30’s
– The 2.0-litre in-line six-cylinder makes 55 hp
– 2 Solex 32 PCB carburettors with half-open air filters
– 4-speed manual transmission with independent suspension and hydraulic drum brakes on 4 wheels
– White wall tires on two-part steel rims with central locking
– Yellow fog lights
– Restoration in the early 1990’s and finished in a blue exterior and tanned leather interior.
– Recommissioned by BMW Classic in 2017 where it received a sympathetic cosmetic restoration
– Pauly & Partner appraisal 2017 valued up to € 550,000- € 650,000
– Detailed Dekra appraisal 2018
– German registration + historic vehicle admission
Veritas, or more accurately the Veritas Works Joint Venture for Sports and Racing Cars, was founded in May 1947 by Ernst Loof (the former head of BMW’s racing division), Lorenz Dietrich (BMW’s former sales manager), and Georg Meier (a successful motorcycle and automobile racer in the prewar years). Initially, the firm was located in Hausern, in the American sector, which presented a unique set of challenges. The construction of new cars or new engines above 1 liter in displacement was verboten, so the trio focused its energies on obtaining as many prewar BMW 328s and components as it could.
In the firm’s early days, customers were required to bring a derelict BMW 328 (or, minimally, the engine and transmission from a BMW 328) to its modest factory. There, Veritas would rebuild the inline six-cylinder engine, fitting a custom-ground camshaft and new cylinder head with larger valves, before adding a single-seat body. Two weeks – and DM35,000 – later, buyers could pick up their for-competition-use-only BMW-Veritas roadsters.
BMW soon learned of this and strenuously objected to the use of its name in association with the effort. Perhaps the firm shouldn’t have been so hasty, since Veritas’s first customer, Karl Kling, drove his car to a win at Hockenheim, later collecting the 1947 German 2.0-liter championship. Veritas would repeat as champion in this category in 1948-’49 as well, giving rise to the firm’s early reputation as a giant killer on the race track.
In March 1948, Veritas relocated from Hausern to Messkirch, located in the French sector. By year end, the firm had produced 17 racing cars, each built to the customer’s standards and requirements. Ultimately, however, success hinged on building Veritas models for the road, and in 1949 the company produced the Veritas Comet, a thinly disguised – but road-legal – variant of its Veritas RS competition cars.
Later models, including the Veritas Scorpion cabriolet and the Veritas Saturn 2+2 coupe, were more sophisticated and more comfortable. Coachbuilder Spohn provided aluminum bodies, and engines were sourced from BMW, with buyers able to choose from a 55-hp six from the BMW 326 or an 80-hp six from the BMW 328 (though the Comet sports coupe could reportedly be ordered with an engine producing up to 150 hp).