Price coming soonCar-ID: XT0535
Gorgeous pre-war German sports car: BMW 327 Convertible
– One of only 1606 convertibles built
– 2 litre in-line six-cylinder engine with 55 hp
– Four-speed manual transmission
– Two-tone paint in red-black with black leather interior
– Whitewall tires
– A distinctiveness of the era is the radio dashboard and its operation: The radio is installed in the footwell and connected with two wire windings for operation
– Hydraulic brake system + lever shock absorbers
– Restored by BMW AG Stuttgart
– Underbody + fuel tank restored, interior reupholstered + fenders renewed
– Appraisal 2018 (Grade 2-3)
– German registration + historic vehicle admission
– New technical control (MoT) upon sale
Bayerische Motoren Werke built the BMW 327 touring sports car at its Eisenach branch from 1937 – 1941. This beautiful coupe or convertible received great acclaim as soon as it was introduced. The bodywork for it was built by the German-American manufacturer of bodies and coachwork “Ambi-Budd” from Berlin-Johannisthal. During the four-year construction period, 1606 convertibles and 265 coupes were produced. Even though the 327 was related to the BMW 328, it was classified as a touring sports car. The standard version with 55 hp and 1.1 tons of weight reached a top speed of up to 125 km/h. The six-cylinder in-line engine is located behind the front axle. The side camshaft, driven by a duplex chain, actuates the overhead valves. Two solex flat-flow carburetors produce the gasoline/air mixture. A 4-speed transmission with a middle gearshift drives the rigid axle suspended from two longitudinal leaf springs. The foot brake acts hydraulically on all 4 wheels. The hand brake blocks the rear wheels with a cable. A central lubrication system is operated by a foot lever in the interior, which lubricates the joints of the axles via 4.75 mm thick lines. This convenient lubrication could also be used while driving. This BMW model did not have the lubrication nipples that were normally used at the time.
In various test reports, this weight-optimized 911 is described as enormously fast and safe to drive.