– classic Citroën D Super in typical 1970s colour, gold-metallic
– attractive appearance with white roof and white steel rims with chromed hub caps
– from penultimate year of production, 1974
– with its currrent owner since 2008
– black leather interior renewed and in truly great condition
– rocker panels and doors have seen remedial maintenance
– dented rear wing
– swivelling headlights
– 2.0 litre engine and 4-speed manual gearbox
– German registration documents and historic plates
“La déesse” means “the goddess” in French, and the pun was not unintended. When the DS was presented at the Paris Motor Show in 1955, its extravagant styling made it look like something from a different universe to most people. Citroën was owned by the tyre manufacturer Michelin at that time, who put great emphasis on technological advances. The hydropneumatic suspension, designed by Paul Magès, had been used on the rear axle of the 15 CV, the DS’s predecessor, as of 1954 – but here it was employed on all four wheels, giving the car a superior ride quality and variable ground clearance. Hydraulics were also used for the brakes, power steering, and – for early models at least – also for clutch and transmission. The “snake pit”, as the mass of hydraulic pipes in the engine bay was jokingly called – overwhelmed many contemporary mechanics, but the systems proved to be very reliable. The DS (and its submodels ID, D Super and D Special) remained in production for a full two decades, with various redesigns, the most noteworthy in 1967, which put the headlights, together with a set of directional lights, under an aerodynamic glass cover. A station wagon (“Break”) and factory convertible variant was also available.
Beyond doubt, the DS is one of the greatest design icons of automotive history.