The original version of the Jaguar XK series
– 3.5L in-line six-cylinder gasoline engine with 134 kW (182 hp) and 4-speed manual gearbox
– According previous owner, the Jaguar participated between 1953 and 1956 in two Le Mans races with American racing drivers
– Last registration in Oakland, California, U.S.
– The last owner bought the Jaguar 2003 in the Netherlands. Photos of the condition at the time of purchase are available
– During almost 10 years the roadster was extensively restored. Photo documentation available
– Revision of the engine and of various body segments
– The seats were overhauled and renewed from the frame to the upholstery; revision of the instruments; the dashboard was covered with leather
– Upgraded with the typical Brooklands windows, a small windshield
– German registration documents + admission as historic vehicle
The exterior paint in classic gray tones, as well as the chrome parts with minimal signs of use confirm the classy overall condition
Jaguar’s first post-World War II sports car was launched at the Earls Court Motor Show in London in 1948. It was fitted with a brand new and very modern engine, with double overhead camshaft, which was intended for the Mark VII. Production of the saloon was delayed, however, and so the XK 120 prototype was the star of the show. Sir William Lyons’ design was extremely well received and orders for the XK 120 arrived in large numbers. Due to the fact that the sports car was also relatively inexpensive, it became a huge success; not only on the domestic market, but especially in the USA. A closed coupé (“fixed head coupé”, from 1951) and a convertible (“drop head coupé”, from 1953) rounded off the range. All XK 120s had 3.4 litre 6-cylinder engines, from 119 kW (162 hp) up to 157 kW (213 hp). With this power and a top speed of just under 200 km/h (over 120 miles, hence the name…), the XK 120 was naturally equipped for a successful motorsport career.
The design was retained with minor changes for the two successor models, the XK 140 (1954 – 1957) and the XK 150 (1957 – 1961). The engine survived in modified form with up to 4.2 litres of displacement until the early 1990s.