– After 20 years of idle time, this really unique W123 taxi was rebuilt in 2018/2019 without considering the costs and effort and the time investment.
– 4 vehicles (2x 200 D taxi, 1x 280 petrol, 1x 300 turbodiesel with engine type 617.952) were dismantled for the realization of this project.
– The complete restoration is documented with more than 100 photos
– After the restoration the vehicle passed successfully the German technical control (MOT) in May 2019 and is eligible as a classic car
– In June 2019 it was assessed by Classic Data in state 2.
– The complete TAXI equipment including alarm, radio, taximeter, taxi sign, etc. is fully functional!
– It drives very smoothly, the gearbox shifts properly, the engine pulls through cleanly.
– Wishing to minimize the private collection, the owner sells this rare vehicle at the upcoming auction.
Rock solid elegance from Germany
The 123 models were arguably the most successful cars Mercedes ever built. In 1980, the W123 even beat rival Volkswagen, having more registrations than the all-time winner VW Golf. The long delivery time of up to three years had an interesting effect: Young used cars cost more than new ones. A total of almost 2.7 million units were built, with engines ranging from 2.0 to 3.0 litres of capacity and 55 to 185 hp. Almost 50 % of the W123 had a diesel engine fitted – which was the engine of choice for taxi companies all over the world. Cars from this series have the reputation of being extremely reliable and perfectly able to cover distances of 800.000 km and more without breaking down. The W123 series was also the first Mercedes which was available as a factory-built station wagon (the very few wagons of the W114/115 had been licence builds).
Nowadays, these elegant Mercedes have become popular classics. Even the last of their kind can now obtain the historic number plates.