– low mileage Ferrari 308 GTS with interesting history
– built in 1977, making it an early targa model
– delivered to the US when new, in the ownership of a US senator from 1988 – 2013
– shipped to Dubai, then to Britain, finally to Germany in 2017
– Formula One derived 3.0 litre all alloy V8 engine with a power output of 168 kW (228 hp)
– in 2017 over € 13,000 invested in repair and maintenance
– all engine fluids replaced, new filter, new sealing for engine and gearbox
– ignition system overhauled, valves adjusted
– steering, brake system as well as electrical components checked and repaired
– German registration documents, valid technical approval until 07/2019 and historic plates
– participation at the Silvretta Classic Rallye 2017
Folding headlights up front, clear styling by Pininfarina, a detachable targa roof in the centre, twin taillights – but above and beyond all else: immediately behind the rear seats, a V8 with a repertoire ranging from a stertorous rattle to a bark to a screaming roar. From these ingredients, Ferrari created the 308 GTS, one of the dream cars of the 1980s. Its popularity was further increased by the fact that the popular TV detective used this model for transport.
Early 308s, available only as closed GTB, had a fibreglass body, which was very time-consuming to produce. For that reason, it got replaced by a more conventional steel body in 1977. The Targa version appeared in the same year. From 1981, the GTS became a GTSi, a Bosch K-Jetronic was now responsible for mixture preparation instead of the carburetor system. Four-valve technology was introduced in 1982.