Mercedes-Benz 190 SL – the elegant touring sports car for the boulevard
– 1.9 liter four-cylinder in-line petrol engine with 77 kW (105 hp) and 4-speed manual transmission
– In 1959 delivered to Mercedes London as a special U.S. version
– Since 1994 registered in Germany
– 3 owners known, with the current owner since 2015
– Elaborated restoration of many parts performed by Mercedes specialists
– Rear wheel bearing, brake system, wheel brake cylinder, exhaust renewed, gearbox revised
– Water pump, radiator, thermostat, water hoses and much more renewed, anti theft system fitted
– New complete paintwork, all chrome parts inside newly chromed
– Interior completely renewed, seats newly upholstered and covered with leather
– Original analogue clock restored, contemporary Radio Becker Europa
– Invoices for repairs over € 11,500 and spare parts over € 17,800 available
– The Classic-Data appraisal, grade 1-, describes the excellent overall condition
– Admission as historic vehicle + valid technical control (MOT) until 12/2024
The true role model for all future SL and SLK generations.
The idea came from the United States. Mercedes had no plans for a sports car in the early 1950s. Work on sedans and commercial vehicles was taking up all the capacity of the factory, which had not yet been fully rebuilt. But Max Hofmann, USA general importer, convinced the Mercedes-Benz board of directors at the board meeting of September 2, 1953, to build a small sports runabout for the American market.
On February 6, 1954, the new car, internally designated the W121, was unveiled at the New York Auto Show. The front was based on the larger Mercedes 300 SL on display at the same time, but the rear was wider and closer to the pontoon sedan 180. 190 km/h top speed, 110 hp and conversion options for racing use were promised. The 190 SL suffered somewhat at its presentation under the overpowering 300 SL, which was a great sensation, one had expected just from Mercedes no such impressive entry into the sports car segment.
The Mercedes-Benz 190 SL was built from May 1955 to February 1963 in a total of 25,881 units. Of these, around 18,000 reached the USA.