– Mercedes-Benz 220 Sb “tailfin”, beautiful specimen of its kind
– original German delivery, first registered 04/1964, documented history
– mileage according to odometer 8,100 km, likely to have rolled over just once
– completely and professionally repainted in the original colour middle red (MB code 516)
– nice pinstripe interior brown/beige
– manual sunroof
– white bakelite steering wheel with slight patina
– chrome complete without any major damage
– 4-speed manual transmission with steering-column mounted gear lever
– Vredestein whitewall tyres emphasize the elegant appearance of the vehicle
– Classic Data appraisal over € 32,500 (condition 2+, 2017)
– German registration documents and historic plates
The vehicles colloquially referred to as “large tail fin” of the W111 series were produced from 1959 to 1965. They were full-sized Mercedes sedans and replaced the ponton series W180/W128. Body, interior and luggage room sizes are substantially identical to the W110 series (“small tail fin”), which entered the market in 1961.
All models have an unusual instrument panel with vertical roller speedometer (“clinical thermometer speedo”), where the display varies depending on the speed from yellow through red / yellow to red. All models also have the filler neck located behind the rear license plate, which folds down to allow access
The body was characterized by a hitherto unknown passive safety: It had for the first time a stable passenger cell and effective deformable zones. Mercedes conducted extensive crash tests, in which a vehicle was pushed over a ramp at 80 km/h in order to make it roll over.