Doesn’t it look just gorgeous, this classic British roadster, in its two-tone red and light grey paint job and the beautiful chrome spoke wheels? It is an Austin-Healey 100-6 BN 4, built in 1958, first registered in Germany according to the factory record and re-imported back to Germany in 2015 after a prolonged stay in the US. With its 2.6 litre straight six cylinder engine installed, it delivers 87 kW (118 hp) of power and, owing to its kerb weight of merely 1,125 kg, could reach a top speed of 175 km/h if one was brave enough to try – truly impressive data for a car from the 1950s.
The “100” has an unwarranted 81,600 miles on the odometer. It comes with a four-speed manual transmission.
This Austin-Healey has already been re-painted, it is optically quite presentable. The chrome on the outside (radiator grille, headlight rings, rearview mirrors, boot hinges, handles, bumpers) is shiny and well-preserved. The interior displays an appropriate degree of patina. The boot looks dry, it contains a complete spare wheel. Due to the fact that the underbody requires welding and the electric system will need to be overhauled, the car is being offered as a restoration project. The original owner’s manual exists.
All in all, a charming old-school roadster that requires a few things done.
The car then known as Austin-Healey 100 originally came with a 2.7 litre 4-cylinder, 90 hp engine mated to a 3-speed manual gearbox with overdrive. In 1956, the 100/6 received a popularity boost due to the introduction of a 6 cylinder engine and elongated wheelbase which allowed for jump seats in the rear. The roadster was continuously modified and improved, culminating in the Austin-Healey 3000 which, as of 1959, boasted a 3.0 litre 6-cylinder with up to 148 hp of power.
The “Big Healey” earned itself a reputation for being difficult to handle. Rally driver Pat Moss nicknamed it “The Pig” for its unpredictable oversteering tendencies, which caused more than a few of them to meet a premature end.