– Mercedes-Benz 280, early top model of the W123 series
– German delivery, ordered in Janaury 1976, delivered in December 1976, registered in 1977
– only two owners from new, in the same ownership from 1977 until 2012
– 2.8 litre 6-cylinder engine with a power output of 115 kW (156 hp) and manual gearbox
– air conditioning (unfilled)
– astral silver metallic paint and blue fabric interior in good state of preservation
– runs on original Fuchs “baroque” rims
– original invoice and data card available
– German registration documents, valid technical approval until 07/2019 and historic plates
Rock solid elegance from Germany
The 123 models were arguably the most successful cars Mercedes ever built. In 1980, the W123 even beat rival Volkswagen, having more registrations than the all-time winner VW Golf. The long delivery time of up to three years had an interesting effect: Young used cars cost more than new ones. A total of almost 2.7 million units were built, with engines ranging from 2.0 to 3.0 litres of capacity and 55 to 185 hp. Almost 50 % of the W123 had a diesel engine fitted – which was the engine of choice for taxi companies all over the world. Cars from this series have the reputation of being extremely reliable and perfectly able to cover distances of 800.000 km and more without breaking down. The W123 series was also the first Mercedes which was available as a factory-built station wagon (the very few wagons of the W114/115 had been licence builds).
Nowadays, these elegant Mercedes have become popular classics. Even the last of their kind can now obtain the historic number plates.